Saturday, September 25, 2010

Post 29...To Pee or not to Pee

Last night, after a few hours of grocery shopping, I found myself sitting in the doctor's office. For the past week, I have had a growing feeling of bladder pressure that would not go away. Imagine feeling like you really have to pee, but when you go to the bathroom nothing comes out. The feeling kept coming and going all week but wasn't anything too bad. I had my suspicions that it might be a mild UTI, but I thought I might be able to beat it with lots of water and cranberry juice. But last night...oh boy! Right as we were checking out from the grocery store, the feeling hit. Stronger than it had been all week, I felt like I was nearly going to wet myself and yet nothing was coming. Soon, that feeling was coupled with cramping in my lower stomach and nausea. I could take it no longer. Just minutes before the walk-in clinic was about to close, we rushed in (I was literally running) and they got us in right away. After running a few tests, it was just as I suspected. I have a UTI.

Of course, in the back of my mind, I had secretly been hoping that maybe the bladder pressure was from a possible growing uterus. But after that extreme sudden discomfort, I knew it wasn't a baby. We told the doctor that we have been trying to get pregnant, so they made sure to give me meds that are baby safe just in case we are pregnant. Just to check, they ran a urine test to see if I was pregnant. But to no great surprise, it didn't come out positive. It's only my pre-week after all, so it's too early to really be testing.

After we got home, my husband held me in the shower as I cried from extreme discomfort, waiting desperately for the meds to kick in.

So what's the point to all this? Well, I learned an important lesson: apparently there is a bad side to having so much sex. I never knew it but;  during sexual intercourse, the bacteria present in the vaginal tract is pushed inside the urethra by the movement of the penis. Who knew there was a down side to having a lot of sex with your husband? Come to think of it though, last time when we got pregnant, the doctor's said I had a mild UTI then too! So I guess it is pretty common.

Well, that's the latest news. I still don't know if I'm pregnant or not. It's hard to feel any symptoms other than the UTI, and it's still too early to test. It would also be hard to believe we're not pregnant after having sex every day this past month! But I suppose it could happen. Only time will tell. At least for now, the medicine I'm on is helping to get rid of that awful feeling! Good bye UTI!

No comments:

Post a Comment