Saturday, August 14, 2010

Post 14...Pump the brakes!

My mother-in-law and I getting along?! Hold on now! Back up! What's going on here?!

It had been a terrible day at work, full of the usual borderline slave labor and awful attitudes. So rather than force myself yet again through a day of grinding my teeth, I decided to play sick and go home early. All afternoon, I was in complete bliss as I sat listening to jazz music, drinking coffee, and applying for other jobs. Realizing what a confident boost I got being away from work, feeling relaxation and happiness I hadn't felt nearly all year; I decided that, for my own sanity, it would be best to be "sick" the next day too. So, I croaked out an agonizing phone call to my boss and bought myself another day.

The next day was once again a swirl of coffee, jazz, and new found happiness. Funny how much more confident I felt when I wasn't at work getting battered down constantly. Go figure! Anyway, that same day my mother-in-law was planning on stopping by to drop off a few things she had been meaning to give us (one of my husband's old dressers, and some new pots and pans my brother-in-law's girlfriend wanted to give us). And much to my surprise, we ended up hanging out and talking for a good long while. It was such a nice visit! Ever since we have lost Joey Jr. I feel that my mother-in-law and I have become much closer. More than ever before, I have been able to talk more freely and feel more relaxed around her.

Of course, the hot topic with my mother-in-law has been when my husband and I will be trying for another baby. With a heavy heart, I had to tell her our plans were being put off because of finances. With so many financial obligations, (loans, bills, the car brakes, medical bills...) we just can't afford a baby as soon as we had hoped. It was hard to see the disappointment in her face. She has so desperately wanted us to be able to have a baby again soon. I knew this wasn't what she wanted to hear.

But little did I know to what lengths my in-laws were willing to go to help us be that much closer to trying for another baby!....

The next day, my in-laws called us up. I came into the room to see my husband sitting there on the phone with a dumbfounded look on his face.

"What is it? What is it?" I asked, bouncing next to him.
"They want to pay in full for our car brakes and new tires." he fumbled out.
"They what?!" I gasped. "But that's a lot of money!"
My husband just nodded.

When he got off the phone, he explained to me that his dad wanted to help pay for our car brakes so that we wouldn't have another financial thing to worry about, and mostly so he could be sure we could be safe driving this winter. Safety for winter perhaps, but I knew the real reason behind the offer.

The man may be the head of the house, but the woman is the neck. And she can turn the head any way she wants to.

Thanks mom-in-law. I guess I never knew how much she really wanted us to have a little Sunshine in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment