Friday, March 11, 2011

Post 91...Birthday fun day three

Monday started off with an unexpected trip to the Obgyn. TMI warning! For a couple days I had been getting some random globs of a kind of yellowish discharge that had me concerned. I had had something similar in the last pregnancy just a week before I had miscarried only the amount of discharge was far greater the last time than this time. Without wanting to take any chances, my husband and I decided to go straight to the Obgyn. Luckily my husband had taken the day off so making the trip was no problem for us. Though we didn't have an appointment, I wanted to be sure someone could make sure there was no sign of infection with my stitches. I wasn't feeling any other symptoms, but the last time when I miscarried, I didn't feel any other symptoms either. Last time I just called the nurse to tell her about the discharge, but without having the doctor really look at things, the nurse dismissed it as normal. This time, I wasn't even going to bother with the phone. Even if I had to be the angry mom in the lobby, I wasn't taking any chances with my son!

Well, luckily the clinic had no problem working us in. Although my normal Obgyns weren't in, they had another Obgyn at the same clinic who was willing to see me. We had a couple hours to spare before our appointment so we went to the nearby Barnes & Noble and did a little shopping. There we got the "What to expect in the first year" book, as well as a book about teaching baby sign language. We grabbed a quick drink at Starbucks and then headed off to our appointment.

The doctor got us in quickly, did a pelvic exam, ran some tests, and sure enough, there were traces of bacterial vaginitis. It is a type of minor infection that takes place when the normal bacteria in the vagina increase to a higher level. The doctor said it is very common in women and, in most cases, it can resolve itself. But since I am pregnant with a cerclage, they gave me some medication to clear it right up just to be on the safe side. I was so relieved that I wasn't just being paranoid and that we caught things early on. Mommy instincts save the day! I am happy to say that now, near the end of the prescription, I have had no unusual discharge and all seems to be well. I can't help but wonder, however; what if I had that in the last pregnancy (since I had the same kind of discharge then only more) and what if that played a part in the miscarriage? I guess we'll never really know. But at any rate, I'm glad things are being taken care of this time around.

After the appointment, I used my Gene Juarez gift card and got my hair cut, which was a nice birthday treat. And later that evening we had our favorite couple come over for dinner. We had a great time laughing and catching up. We were also excited to hear that they will be moving nearby! So now we'll get to see them more often, which I am very excited about!

Before













After













New books!













 So day three of my birthday weekend was great! I got new books, I got to take care of myself and my baby, I spent an entire day with my husband, and we ended the day in the company of our friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment