Thursday, May 19, 2011

Post 110...The Baby Shower

It was Sunday the 15th, the day of our baby shower, and nothing went as we expected. After having some breakfast and playing around on my laptop while waiting for my husband to wake up, I went to the bathroom and was shocked to see that I was spotting. In near panic, I checked myself several times and sure enough, with each wipe, I saw the toilet paper tinged with blood. As calmly as I could, I immediately went to the bedroom and woke my husband up. As he got dressed, I called the on-call doctor and we headed to the hospital. Before we left, however, I went to the bathroom one more time and was slightly relieved to see that the bleeding had already stopped. But I still wasn't about to take any chances.

As soon as we got to the hospital, they hooked me up to several machines, monitoring my heart rate, the baby's heart rate, as well as a machine to monitor if I was having any contractions. My heart rate was initially rather high, mostly because I was really nervous, but after awhile, it calmed back down. The baby's heart was nice and strong, and the doctors were happy to report there were no contractions. The doctor then did a pelvic exam to check my cerclage as well as the length of my cervix. Both of which looked great. Finally they ran an ultrasound to make sure the bleeding wasn't caused by the placenta possibly detaching early. But the ultrasound also came out clean, showing the placenta happily in place. After monitoring me and Andy for several hours, the doctors finally concluded that there were no signs of pre-term labor and that the bleeding must have just been a result of the stitches being irritated somehow. By 11:30am, they gave us the okay to go back home.

I'm still not sure what caused the irritation to the stitches. We haven't had any sexual activity that could have caused irritation, and it's not like I was inserting anything up there. My best guess is that the baby might have kicked the stitches during the night, causing some bleeding to occur. Andy had been moving a lot throughout the night, a few times kicking me really hard to the point of it actually hurting. Plus our latest ultrasound had shown that he had flipped around to where his feet were resting right at my cervix. Yet, whatever the cause was, the doctors advised me to keep an eye out for any other symptoms, to refrain from any sexual activity (including orgasming), and to lighten up my activity a bit more.

After spending the morning in the hospital, we got home just in time to shower and get dressed for the baby shower. Luckily, the baby shower went flawlessly and turned out to be amazing! Our parents put on one hell of a baby shower! We had nearly 50 of our friends and family members there to celebrate baby Andy. From old high school friends, to new co-workers; we had an amazing turn out of love and support. There was delicious food including a complete burrito bar and an adorable cake. And the whole theme of the party was baseball, which is all too appropriate considering my husband played baseball for several years. There were fun games, including a Mario Kart Wii tournament, and a mountain of wonderful presents! After such a stressful morning, the baby shower gave us new hope and excitement for the coming of Andy.

That night, after piling all the presents into Andy's room, we spent the evening hanging out with two of our closest friends, watching the season finale of Survivor while eating the leftover chips and salsa from the party. It was a great way to unwind from a very busy, very emotional day.

No comments:

Post a Comment