Monday, February 14, 2011

Post 80...My Mother's Curse

It's been just about a week since we found out we're having a boy and still, I'm trying to wrap my head around it. I keep wondering: as a mother, what things can I pass on to my son? Will he like the same things I do? Will he be anything like me? And it's then that I remember my mother's curse....

It seemed so innocent and almost complimentary at first, that is, until I realized what it was she was really saying. It was after one of the many times I had gotten into trouble or talked-back to my parents for one reason or another. My mother sighed, shook her head, and said to me with an awkward smile, "I hope some day you have kids just like you." In my young ignorance, I thought at first that she was saying how much she loved me and would hope I would be blessed with children as wonderful as me. Obviously I had missed the point completely. Years went by as the curse came back again and again...

"Jenny! Did you eat all of my baking chocolate?"
"Um...what chocolate?" I asked, unaware of the chocolate smudged around the corners of my mouth.
"Oh Jenny, I hope you have kids just like you some day."

"Jenny, your room is a mess! Why are there wet bathroom towels on the floor?"
"I was gonna hang them up later!"
"[Sigh] I hope you have kids just like you some day."

"Jenny, you have been talking non stop since I got home. Can I please have a little peace and quiet for just a few minutes?!"
"Fine." I sat glowering at the table.
"Oh Jenny...I hope you have kids just like you some day."

It didn't take me long to realize it wasn't meant to be a compliment. It meant "I hope your kids put you through the same struggles you're putting me through!" Once I got the concept of my mother's curse, I hassled her about it and we shared a good laugh. But now that I am an adult set to have my first full term child, I can't help but remember the curse. What if my son IS like me? I could be in for one hell of a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment